Wednesday, August 31, 2005

My Katrina Post

The big story is the terrible damage wrought by Katrina. It makes me sick to look at pictures of all those ruined homes, and to read stories of evil people looting and loved ones drowning.

A few years ago I read a good book about the Mississippi flood of 1927 called “Rising Tide,” and it made me aware of the potential for a catastrophe in New Orleans. When I heard that the hurricane was headed there I thought to myself “this is gonna suck.” It does suck. (Another good Gulf of Mexico natural disaster book is Isaac’s Storm, which recounts the shocking story of the hurricane that hit Galveston Texas in 1900 and killed 10,000 people. It’s a good read and helps put Katrina into perspective.)

Michelle Malkin has done some good work covering the tragedy.

No comments: