Thursday, May 26, 2005

DISCLAIMER: The Opinions Expressed in this Post are not Necessarily Those of INFDL or any of its Contributors

My last post reminded me of a conversation I had with a man named Edgardo while I was living in Couhuila, Mexico. He told me that Americans were racist, and when I asked him why he thought this he said, “because you keep Mexicans out of your country.” I countered this by pointing out that Mexico also enforces its southern border, and that the Mexican Government does everything it can to keep people from places like Guatemala and El Salvador from getting in.

He considered this for a moment and then said: “yeah, but those people are worthless.”

Anyway, I only mention it because an Edgardoesque character made it into Chapter 3 of my novel, Uncle Theo. You’ll find it here.

(Edgardo reminded me of the Native American character Chief White Halfoat from Catch-22 who says: “Racial prejudice is a terrible thing . . . It really is. It's a terrible thing to treat a decent, loyal Indian like a nigger, kike, wop or spic.”)

No comments: