Thursday, May 05, 2005

Cinco de Mayo

On this day in 1862 a couple thousand scroungy Mexican patriots spanked a much larger force of heavily armed French troops in the Battle of Puebla. This is a holiday every American can get behind.

Our relations with the French have always been spotty. Just a few years after the American Revolution we were fighting the bastards on the high seas, and their invasion of Mexico was a clear violation of the Monroe Doctrine (which they would not have gotten away with so easily had Abraham Lincoln not been otherwise engaged in 1862.) We can celebrate this day as a Mexican victory or a French defeat . . . I’ll do both.

Viva Mexico! I’m gonna see if there’s anywhere around here I can get a good plate of mole poblano.

Also, I realize that a lot of my posts have appeared to be anti-France, and I don’t want to give the wrong impression. I DO NOT HATE FRANCE . . . I just hate French people.

Happy Cinco AND Birthday, Noay. Yes I remembered. Tom
PS It's 30 today, right?

Sean Says: Happy B-day, Noah. I will celebrate by initiating a ciesta in your honor. Oh yeah, and here's a picture of a Chupacabra.

No comments: