Thursday, February 10, 2005

TommAy's Closer to Nixon than he Thinks

It's true that I once met Bay Buchanan, but there are fewer degrees between Thomas and Nixon than you think, because I also once met Pat Buchanan. This is a transcript of our conversation.

Me: Hello Mr. Buchanan

Him: Hello.

Me: I read your autobiography, Right From the Beginning, and I really enjoyed it. (This was true, it's a pretty entertaining book.)

Him: Well, I'm coming out with a new one in a few months; it's called. . . (at this point he rattled off the most ridiculously long book title I have ever heard. It was more like a paragraph than a title.)

Me: Oh.

And that was that. When the book was published the title he finally went with was: The Death of the West: How Dying Populations and Immigrant Invasions Imperil Our Country and Civilization. Still a mouthful, but it's shorter than the title he quoted to me. I have not, and will not read it.

When I met Buchanan his glory days (the 1992 election) were already in the past, but he hadn't become quite the absurd figure he is now (how embarrassing was his run for president on the Reform Party ticket?) He's a dinosaur.

No comments: