Friday, February 11, 2005

Six Degrees of Separation Between Me and ...

Flash Gordon. I once was the stand-in double for Michael Bacall who played "Arturo" in the film "Wait Until Spring, Bandini". It's a forgotten movie (forgotten by me as well, until now) about immigrants in Colorado back in the '20's. I got to hang with Joe Mantegna (a classy gent) and the kid from the "Chuckie" movies was the little brother (a strange young man). The mother of the family was played by Ornella Muti who, most famously, was the cosmic main-lady of "Flash Gordon". She was a gracious woman- absolutely stunning and funny.

I know, I know. That's technically only one degree of separation, but a strange and true yarn indeed. Also, I believe all of us at INFDL have only a few degrees (three max) between us and headache-inducing, gas-giving, mind-melting master spittle monger Larry King. In fact, come to think of it, we really only have a few degrees of separation between us and The King- Elvis! I'm sure that at one point, one of the non-Donny Osmond Brothers has either opened for Elvis , or at least huffed Nitrous with him.

P.S. I had no idea that the soundtrack to the film "Wait Until Spring, Bandini" was done by Angelo Badalamenti, David Lynch's composer and one of the truly fine modern film composers. Listen to the soundtrack to "The Straight Story" and you'll know what I mean.

Tommay adds: You've met Princess Aura, that's totally awse. Flash Gordon is one of my favorite cult movies. And speaking of soundtracks, Queen did the complete soundtrack to Flash Gordon and it's really bitchin! And yes, Badalamenti is the straight dope, one of the few best, methinks. He also did the soundtrack for "A Very Long Engagement" which was outstanding flick, and much better than Amelie in that it wasn't nearly as "french" as was Amelie. Though AVLE is still very "french" itself.

No comments: