Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I Like Television

This is apropos of nothing, but I think it needs to be said: I like television

Every once in a while I'll hear someone quote a line from the Simpsons to a group of people and there's always one guy (actually, it's usually a girl) who'll say "Oh, I never watch television." They employ the same tone of voice they would use if they were saying "I'd never smoke crack" or "I'd never piss on my mother's grave." This aversion to television is really nothing more than a pathetic form of snobbery.

Television is good, and I'll tell you why:

1) Sports
2) The Simpsons
3) Arrested Development
4) Curb Your Enthusiasm
5) Ali G
6) The Office (I know it's no longer on the air, but I still feel the show's warm glow in my heart)

This is just my first string. I could go on and on about with second string programs and all time classics (like Seinfeld or Monty Python's Flying Circus) but I don't need to. I've proven my point. Even with all the pollution of "reality TV" the good things on the tube justify its existence.

Tom would like to add: I like television too. In fact, I luuuuv it. Yes, I've long held that those who just love to proclaim their disdain for television (in the same tones Noah describes) are, in fact, boring people. Look what they're missing. And yeah, ok, as always there are a few exceptions to this rule, but I find that it's mostly true. Television isn't what it used to be 10 years ago, as there are now almost 200 channels of all sorts of shit. And when you think about it, alot of our education comes from tv watching. When you consider that almost half of all channels are educational channels like Discovery and Natl. Geographic and History and Public Television and three versions of CSPAN, you're ass will get learned watching television. TV can be a rich and rewarding experience if you choose your viewing wisely. Television also accounts for the reason that I, a Utahn, can move to Florida and fit in with the locals here perfectly well and with little adjustment, because we're all connected to the same culture through television. And a kid from Bismark, ND, who watches Chappelle and Seinfeld and MTV, likewise wouldn't need much adjustment.

No comments: