Friday, February 11, 2005

As Cock-Rockers Cinderella Once Said...

"You don't know what you got until it's gone". I wonder if I am alone amongst Jazz fans when I fondly recall the days of automatic playoff berths (21 in a row-- a US pro sports record), MVP awards growing on trees and nights where your top guy goes off for 61 points.

Karl Malone announced he is retiring today (a wise move). He will hold a press conference on Sunday at the Delta Center. Jazz fans had become so spoiled by basketball excellence that many happily shoed him out of Salt Lake after eighteen seasons in which he avaraged 26 point and 11 rebounds. I never thought we should have gotten rid of him. His last year in a Jazz uniform, he averaged 21 points and 8 1/2 boards. You don't let those types of numbers just walk away. I think, especially now, Larry Miller regrets ever letting him go. Word is he will now work for the Jazz in some capacity. How about assistant in charge of toughness? Maybe he will provide security or handle all of the team's trucking needs.

When I started this blog, I thought that I would be posting about my beloved Jazz at least once a week, but watching this current Jazz team play is something like slamming your balls in the car door. Truly painful. Who could have known that Carlos Boozer is Diet-Kieth VanHorn (the Cavs, by the way, might win their division)? Who could have foreseen the dive in skills that we saw from Arroyo (now on the Pistons)? Who would have thought that Sloan, after the passing of his wife, would be subjected to 82 games of this wafting sausage of a team?

What I am trying to say is this: Karl Malone was a once-in-lifetime power forward. And the Jazz won many games because of it. In fact, more wins than anybody in the 90's. You want to take issue with his greatness? Check out his numbers, my friend.

No comments: